UCT Library | University of Cape Town
Whether you are working on your assignment, essay, tutorial or project, not knowing how to find resources or simply do not understanding how referencing works, we are here to help you no matter what. Reach out and get to know your librarians or just Ask a Librarian online. You will be amazed at how much support we can give you. Wishing you all the best for your academic year and don’t forget UCT Libraries is always there to assist.
1. What is UCT Libraries?
UCT Libraries is a network of 7 libraries across all UCT campuses, which offers state-of-the-art technology, vast collections of reading and research material, and the specialised services of friendly, efficient and helpful staff.
Download the UCT Libraries Factsheet
2. What can the University of Cape Town libraries do for me?
From day one, UCT Libraries is your information and learning partner. Between and after lectures, we offer you:
- a safe and comfortable physical study space, friendly library staff to assist and guide you with your studies both online and in person
- a Virtual Library Service which you can access from home and/or from anywhere you may choose.
If you would like to chat with your librarian, make a virtual appointment or contact them directly for assistance.
3. When do I need the libraries?
From the time you receive your reading lists and first assignment topic, explore our website and start your learning journey.
5. How do I borrow and return books?
Browse the shelves
Browse books on the shelves and borrow books using self-service machines at some libraries.
Request books via Primo
Request books via Primo and select one of the pick-up locations to collect books.
- Simply sign in to Primo and request the book(s) that interest you.
- Select a Pickup Location for your request.
- Wait for the email confirmation to collect.
Hold requests and recalls
You can place a hold request via Primo for an item that is currently on loan to someone else. Learn more
6. Do you only have serious materials in the Library?
No, we also have fun materials including popular fiction in all genres, graphic novels, board-games such as chess, jigsaw puzzles, etc. Do let us know what you would like to read so that we may grow our collection.
8. What are the opening hours of the Library?
Visit our Libray Hours for essential information about library hours. Our Virtual Library Service operates from 08h30 – 17h00, Mondays to Fridays.
To access more details about the University of Cape Town please visit the official website at uct.ac.za. For the latest articles visit here