The admission requirements differ depending on what you want to study. The criteria for certificate courses, diplomas and degrees is listed below:
Undergraduate Certificate Study
To confirm eligibility for admission to undergraduate certificate study, applicants must consult the Admissions Office or the faculty concerned.
Undergraduate Diploma Study
The minimum requirement for admission to undergraduate diploma study is a National Senior Certificate (NSC) as certified by Umalusi with an achievement rating of 3 (Moderate Achievement, 40-49%) or better in 4 recognised NSC 20-credit subjects.
Bachelor’s Degree Study
To be eligible for admission to degree study, applicants need to meet minimum requirements for eligibility:
- Applicants holding a South African National Senior Certificate (NSC) need to pass a minimum of 4 subjects at a rating of 4 (Adequate Achievement, 50-59%) or better in any four 20-credit NSC subjects.
- Applicants holding a South African Senior Certificate need matriculation endorsement.
- Applicants holding non-South African school-leaving certificates must qualify for a matriculation exemption certificate. For more information please visit the website of the Matriculation Board.
Minimum language proficiency
All applicants must have attained a certain level of proficiency in English and are required to submit evidence of this, as outlined below, as part of their application to study.
South African Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants
- South African Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants to UCT must have achieved a pass of 40% or more on the Higher Grade in English (First or Second Language) at Senior Certificate level.
South African NSC undergraduate applicants
- South African NSC undergraduate applicants to UCT, must have achieved a rating of 2 (Elementary Achievement, 30-40%) or better at Home Language or First Additional Language level.
Applicants holding non-South African school-leaving certificates
For further information on the IELTS and TOEFL exams, please contact the UCT English Language Centre.
Calculating Admissions Points Score (APS)
The percentages achieved in National Senior Certificate examinations (preliminary and final examinations) will be allocated an admission score equal to that percentage.
The sum of 6 subjects, excluding Life Orientation, but including English and any required subject(s) for the relevant programme, is considered when deciding on admission. For example, for a given programme where Maths and Physical Sciences are required, we will take scores for English, Maths, Physical Sciences and the next best 3 subjects other than Life Orientation to compute the NSC score towards the APS.
Results below 40% for any subject do not attract a score.
List of Courses Offered at University of Cape Town
Organisationally, UCT is structured into faculties, five of which offer courses to study abroad and exchange students. Each faculty office houses academic departments which focus on particular subjects or disciplines.
The structure of course codes shows the academic department, year of study and semester. Bachelors courses carry 1000-level, 2000-level and 3000-level codes for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd years of study respectively. Masters courses have 5000-level codes. The suffix ‘F’ denotes courses offered in the First Semester (Feb-Jun) and suffix ‘S’ is for courses offered in the Second Semester (Jul-Nov).
Download each faculty handbook for details about available courses or click on the faculty link for more information on the academic departments and disciplines established in each faculty office.
Below is the full detail of all the undergraduate courses offered at the University of Cape Town, UCT:
Health Sciences Faculty
The Health Sciences Faculty offers the following undergraduate degrees and diplomas:
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery
- Bachelor of Science in Audiology
- Bachelor of Science in Occupational Therapy
- Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Science in Speech-Language Pathology
- Higher Certificate in Disability Practice
- Advanced Diploma in Cosmetic Formulation Science
Check all UCT Courses and requirements here: http://www.studyabroad.uct.ac.za/choose-your-courses