Fulbright scholarship: Fulbright Foreign Student Program 2021/2022 for South African Scholars (Fully Funded to USA)
The Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program offers approximately 470 teaching, research or combination teaching/research awards in over 125 countries. Opportunities are available for college and university faculty and administrators as well as for professionals, artists, journalists, scientists, lawyers, independent scholars and many others. In addition to several new program models designed to meet the changing needs of U.S. academics and professionals, Fulbright offers flexible awards including multi-country opportunities.
Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program
Applications are open on June 15. Closing date for applications is October 1 Every year.
The Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program (SARSP) is an opportunity for South African university faculty or research institute professionals to conduct research in their field of expertise at a U.S. academic or research Institution for a period of 3 to 9 months starting no earlier than August 2021 and no later than March 2022.
A research grant enables the scholar to perform high-level research at a U.S. educational institution, aimed at strengthening academic programs or curricula at his/her home institution. Applicants need to have a proven track record of productive scholarly research, and publications.
Fulbright-Emory Distinguished Chair Scholar Award
In addition to the standard SARSP award, we are pleased to announce a separate Fulbright SARSP award for 2021-2022. The Fulbright-Emory Distinguished Chair Scholar Award will fund one visiting scholar from South Africa for a duration of 4 months at Emory University. The Awardee must teach, give lectures, participate in the academic life of the university and conduct research at Emory.
Priority will be given to the selection of scholars whose activities are related to graduate programs in South Africa with the objective of increasing the impact of their scholarship back in South Africa as a result of their experience in the United States. Should you wish to apply specifically for the Fulbright-Emory Distinguished Chair Scholar Award, please select this option in your online application.
- Applicants must be South African citizens or permanent residents (minimum of 5 years of permanent resident status required).
- Open to Scholars in all disciplines and without regard to gender or age. Please note: proposals for clinical medical research involving patient contact cannot be approved under the Fulbright Program.
- Applications for doctoral dissertation research, post-doctoral research immediately following the completion of a doctorate degree, or general professional travel, are ineligible.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have not previously received a Fulbright Scholar Grant.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have had no experience or only limited experience in the U.S.
- Applicants must have a doctoral degree or equivalent professional/terminal degree in their field. Preference is given to individuals who have extensive university teaching experience and a productive scholarly record.
- Applicants may be affiliated with local universities, research institutes, or other institutions that have educational and/or research objectives.
- Applicants must have sufficient proficiency in the English language to carry out the project required. TOEFL exams are not required. English Language Proficiency may be tested by Fulbright Offices.
- Scholars must be in good health. Successful candidates will be asked to submit a Medical History and Examination Report.
- Scholars who were unsuccessful in previous competitions may re-apply. Repeat applicants should revise their proposals, update curriculum vitae, and obtain current letters of reference.
How to Apply
- Please use the online application link provided on this website. The application will need to be filled out and submitted through an online application system. All required supporting documents need to be submitted through the online application system as well.
- Include a well written research proposal with easily explained methodology that can be understood by a general reviewing committee as well.
- Include three confidential letters of reference. These letters must be uploaded by your referees through the online application system. Guidelines on how to register your referees are included in the country information section of the application. We will not accept any letters of reference via email or post.
- A Letter of Invitation from a U.S. host institution is strongly encouraged but not required.
- Applicants are discouraged from requesting affiliation with an alma mater. The Institute of International Education (IIE) will honor institutional affiliation preferences as far as possible. Applicants unfamiliar with U.S. institutions may request that IIE identify suitable placements.
- Applicants should note that laboratory fees are not part of the standard benefits package for the Fulbright SARSP and are awarded on a limited, case-by-case basis, and only if funding is available.
Research Grant Coverage
- Monthly stipend based on the cost of living at the research site.
- Monthly dependent allowance for accompanying dependents.
- Round trip airfare for the grantee.
- Round trip airfare for one dependent accompanying the grantee for a minimum period of 80% on an eight- to nine month grant.
- Excess baggage allowance for return travel.
- Professional allowance for books, conferences, and seminars.
- Settling-in allowance.
- Primary medical insurance coverage for the grantee.
Online application: https://apply.iie.org/fvsp2021/
Contact your nearest Fulbright Office with questions that are not answered online:
- Pretoria: [email protected]
- Johannesburg: [email protected]
- Cape Town: [email protected]
- Durban: [email protected]
Applications have closed for the current academic year.
- meet the citizenship requirements,
- hold at least a degree equivalent to a bachelor’s degree,
- have an excellent academic background,
- have a well-defined project and personal leadership ability
More Education News and Opportunities in South Africa